Optometry is one of regulated professions in Canada. To become a doctor of optometry or an optometrist an individual must complete a Bachelor of Science degree or higher and a four year doctor of optometry degree from an accredited university or college.
After the completion of these requirements, a graduate has to satisfy provincial licensing requirements in which he intend to practice. The provincial or territorial government has created this policy to ensure the public receives the highest standard of optometric services.
The optometrists in Abbotsford are the doctors of optometry who are independent primary health care providers in Abbotsford and represent the front line of vision health. The primary responsibility of an optometrist is to make sure good vision health of public.
As a professional optometry in Abbotsford and for your convenience, we are going to share primary responsibilities of an optometrist. Here are listed below:
- An optometrist has to specialize in the vision exams so he may diagnose, treat, manage and prevent the diseases and disorders of the eyes, visual system and related structure.
- An optometrist has to specialize in diagnose ocular manifestations of systemic conditions such as diabetes and complications of the aging process such as cataracts and macular degeneration.
- An optometrist has to specialize in prescription of medication, so he may prescribe medicines to treat certain eye diseases and disorders.
- An optometrist has to specialize in prescription of eye glasses and contact lenses as well as safety eyewear and subnormal vision devises.
- An optometrist has to specialize in providing vision therapy and low-vision rehabilitation programs.
- An optometrist has to work in conjunction with other medical doctors to provide integrated, quality care for patients.
- An optometrist has to educate patients about vision health for protecting and enhancing vision health.
- An optometrist has to conduct research and make some advancement in the visual sciences.
So these are the primary responsibilities of an optometrist in Canadian province British Columbia as well as its cities such as Abbotsford and Surrey. To know more about an optometrist, you may contact us.